Since 1889, the funicular railway has been connecting Beatenbucht at Lake Thun with the elevated village of Beatenberg. In 1946, the Niederhorn was linked, through a chair lift departing in the village of Beatenberg, to the mountain top. This was the forerunner of the 3-strand cable car which commenced operations in 1997. The present cable car is the first, and up to now the only, such Bergbahn in Switzerland. The 2014 General Meeting resolved to merge the funicular railway (Beatenbucht – Beatenberg) and the cable car (Beatenberg – Niederhorn), to form the Niederhornbahn AG.
Until December 31, 2018, STI Bus AG was commissioned with managing Niederhornbahn AG. Since January 1, 2019, the management of of Niederhornbahn AG has been in its own hands, self-administered.